Brighton Blues Under 9s
WELCOME TO BRIGHTON BLUES UNDER 9s!
(for children born after 1st September 2007 and before 31st August 2008 – Year 4 2016-17)
One team got to play at Wasps Festival Winners of the Plate Final– November 2014.
At U8s we play tag rugby. This is in line the RFU’s New Rules of Play, a pathway to introduce the game of rugby to young players. There are 3 stages starting with tag rugby for U6/U7/U8s, mini rugby for U9/U10s, and mini rugby for U11/U12s, so that by U13s the players are ready to play the full 15-a-side game.
Sections of the U7 Website
We train once a week at Brighton Rugby Club on Sunday mornings starting at 10:00 am finishing by 12 noon, with festivals and friendlies throughout the year for all teams.
We have a playing group this year for the U8s with over 20 returning registered players of varied ability split into squads that change over the season as players progress. We are very keen to see new faces joining the club throughout the season. With boys and girls from many different schools, Brighton Rugby is a great way to learn new skills, generate new friendships, enhance focus and concentration and build self-esteem and self confidence.
Players are moved up and down our squads as they learn, progress (and grow!!) at different rates.
We have a number of coaches, first aiders and partially RFU qualified referees for our U8 set up, run by Jonathan Sprigg and David Lowrie. We encourage parents to get involved, and will support those who want to take qualifications, to support the players to have a great time. All first aiders, coaches and referees are DBS checked.
Joining the U8s
For details on joining please email us email@example.com
If you have any specific questions around joining the U8s at Brighton Rugby please contact the Under 8’s Managers firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
U8 Guiding Principles
As a group of players, coaches and parents we have evolved the following set of principles for how we approach our rugby:
- Create a competitive, fun environment
- Build a strong sense of teamwork within the player groups
- Build a strong sense of identity with Brighton Rugby Football Club
- Treat players, coaches, referees and parents with respect at all times
- Recognise and celebrate successes in a positive, supportive environment (from a good pass to winning a tournament)
- Focus on running, passing, catching and tagging skills to create rounded players
- Send as many teams as possible to tournaments so all players have these great experiences
- Competitive selection with the best players in the best squads, selected on form, attitude and attendance
- If players play well we will look to move the play up through the squads
- If players are absent for a tournament or a period of training they will not be automatically put back into that squad
- Movement between the squads enables players to develop in different environments and roles (leadership and responsibility as well as team positions)
U8 Tournament Results and Match Reports
Match reports will appear as we progress.